Thursday 8 September 2011

Implementing Global Collection Types

Question:

I have some packages with some functions and procedures in each one of them:
package1:
function1;
function2;
procedure1;

package2:
function1;
function2;
procedure1;
My problem is that all these packages are using a function to log something placed in another package:
package3:
functionlog;
Now, this function must get (or at least I think so) one parameter of type TABLE OF MY_TABLE%ROWTYPE;. So, how can I declare a global type of this kind:
TYPE my_type IS TABLE OF my_table%ROWTYPE;
And use it across multiple PL/SQL packages? I tried using
CREATE OR REPLACE TYPE my_type IS ....
and so on, but I found that %ROWTYPE is PL/SQL and is not allowed. Can you help?

Answer:

Alex, you are absolutely right: you cannot use %ROWTYPE in the declaration of a schema-level nested table type definition. The %ROWTYPE declaration attribute may only be used in a PL/SQL declaration section.
You can, however, achieve what you desire by declaring your nested table type in a package specification. Any program compiled in a schema with EXECUTE authority on that package can then reference the nested table type.
Here is an example:
DROP TABLE otn_question ;

CREATE TABLE otn_question (
ID INTEGER ,
title VARCHAR2 ( 100 ),
description VARCHAR2 ( 2000 ));

INSERT INTO otn_question
VALUES ( 1 , 'How do I write a loop?'
, 'What are the different ways I can write a loop in PL/SQL');
INSERT INTO otn_question
VALUES ( 2 , 'Should I use RAISE_APPLICATION_ERROR?'
, 'Should I use RAISE? Or pass back status codes?');
COMMIT ;

REM I define a package that contains nothing but a couple of
REM collectoin type definitions.

CREATE OR REPLACE PACKAGE shared_types
IS
TYPE integers_nt IS TABLE OF INTEGER ;

TYPE otn_questions_nt IS TABLE OF otn_question %ROWTYPE;
END shared_types ;
/

REM Now I will use the nested table type as the parameter type
REM in a procedure.

CREATE OR REPLACE PROCEDURE show_nt (
my_nt_in IN shared_types .otn_questions_nt
)
IS
l_index PLS_INTEGER ;
BEGIN
l_index := my_nt_in .FIRST ;

WHILE ( l_index IS NOT NULL)
LOOP
DBMS_OUTPUT .put_line ( my_nt_in ( l_index ). title );
l_index := my_nt_in. NEXT ( l_index );
END LOOP;
END show_nt;
/

REM Now I declare a local variable based on the nested table type,
REM fill it with a BULK COLLECT query and then call the
REM procedure to display the contents of the nested table.

DECLARE
l_questions shared_types .otn_questions_nt ;
BEGIN
SELECT *
BULK COLLECT INTO l_questions
FROM otn_question ;

show_nt ( l_questions );
END;
/

No comments:

Post a Comment